ContentsIntroductionSharing your music on a MacSharing your music on a PCAdding a music collection using CasaSetupCreate a new music collectionSetup the new music collectionViewing progress and information about your music collection and disc cacheUsing QuickSyncQuickSync FAQ
CasaTunes QuickSync will discover, index, and if configured, copy all your music files located on one or more of your PCs, Macs and/or networked storage devices, to your CasaTunes music server. Once the music files have been discovered and indexed, CasaTunes can play your music either from their original networked location, or from a local copy stored on the music server.
Before CasaTunes QuickSync can discover and index your music, you must share, that is allow CasaTunes to access, the music on your PC, Mac or networked storage device. The instructions to share access to your music varies depending on whether your music is on a PC or Mac. To share access to a folder on your networked storage device follow the instructions for the networked storage device.
Sharing your music on a Mac
In order to share your music on a Mac:
- Open the System Preferences on your Mac by choosing the Apple menu > System Preferences
- Click on the Sharing icon to open the Sharing preference pane
- Check the File Sharing checkbox in the left hand side pane
- To share the folder containing your music, click + at the bottom of the Shared Folders list, locate and select the folder that contains your music, and click Add.
- Click on Options and click the checkbox next to the username. You'll be prompted to enter the password for the computer.
This option will be grayed out if you use your iCloud account to login to your Mac. Please refer to the QuickSync FAQ
to learn how to create a separate login account.
- Congratulations. This completes sharing your music so it is accessible by CasaTunes
- The next step is to use CasaSetup or the CasaTunes App and add a music collection for this shared folder to index, so that you can play this music with CasaTunes.
- When setting up your new music collection in CasaSetup you should enter the IP Address of your Mac and the name of your music folder you shared on your Mac in the Location field. In the example above, you would enter: \\172.22.12.232\iTunes
- In CasaSetup you must also specify the users Mac name and password
Make sure you enable the option Share iTunes Library XML with other applications in the iTunes Advanced preferences tab.
Sharing your music on a PC
In order to share your music on a PC:
- Open Windows Explorer by selecting the Start button and selecting File Explorer
- Navigate to the folder that contains the music you want to share, then right click and select Share with > Specific people...
- Click the arrow to find someone, and select the user or group name from the drop down list
- Select Add
- Select Share
- Write down the location displayed. You will need to enter this location in CasaSetup
- Select Done
Congratulations, you have completed sharing your music so it is accessible by CasaTunes. The next step is to use CasaSetup to configure a music collection that indexes the music on this shared folder so that you can play this music with CasaTunes.
Adding a music collection using CasaSetup
Now that you have shared your music, you must use CasaSetup to add your music collection to be indexed.
Create a new music collection
- Open CasaSetup
- Select My Music
- Select Add Music Collection
Setup the new music collection
- Enter a Name for your newly created music collection
- Using the information you saved when you created your music share, enter either the \\server name\share name or the\\IP address\share name, and the username and password for the share, if any
- Select whether to copy the music onto your music server
- Select Save Settings. CasaTunes will verify it is able to find and access the share using the credentials you provided (if any)
- Once CasaSetup has successfully verified your new music collection, CasaTunes QuickSync will begin indexing the music on your share, and if configured, copy your music
Viewing progress and information about your music collection and disc cache
- You can view progress and information about your music collection in the Music Collection Information section
- The Disc Cache Information section displays the total amount of disc space available (Size) for caching, how much has been used (Used), and how much space remains available (Available). This information includes all music collections
The following screenshots shows how QuickSync music collections are displayed in the iPhone App. Other Apps will be similar.
Select Music to view all your music services
Select My Music to view your QuickSync music collections
All your QuickSync music collections are displayed. If you have more than one QuickSync music collection, we also display the special All My Music music collection. This collection is an aggregated or merged view of all your music collections.
- There is a special Folders collection which allows you to browse your music by hard disc folder.
- There is a special Recently Added collection which includes all music added to your music collection in the last 30 days. It does not include music added in the initial scan.
- If you added music to your collection, and it has not been automatically indexed, you can press the Refresh button to force QuickSync to re-scan or refresh your music collection. Although QuickSync automatically detects when music is added to iTunes, if your music is not in iTunes you will need to manually refresh your music collection.
For more information and trouble shooting QuickSync, please refer to the QuickSync FAQ tech note